Steel building design: Design data
This page is about the following publication:
- Steel building design: Design data
- ISBN: 978-1-85942-186-4
- Year: 2015
This resource is available to BCSA and SCI members only.
Click here for information on becoming a member of SCI.
Click here for information on becoming a member of BCSA.
This publication presents design data derived in accordance with the following Parts of Eurocode 3 and their National Annexes:
- BS EN 1993-1-1:2005: Design of steel structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings.
- BS EN 1993-1-5:2006: Design of steel structures. Part 1-5: Plated structural elements.
- BS EN 1993-1-8:2005: Design of steel structures. Part 1-8: Design of joints.
Where these Parts do not give all the necessary expressions for the evaluation of data, reference is made to other published sources.
The resistances in this publication have been calculated using the partial factors for resistance given in the UK National Annexes for the Eurocodes (NA to BS EN 1993-1-1:2005 as published in December 2008, NA to BS EN 1993-1-5:2006 as published in May 2008 and NA to BS EN 1993-1-8:2005 as published in November 2008). The partial factors are listed in Section 5.1.
The other parameters given in the National Annex that have been used when calculating member resistances are given in the relevant section of this publication. The following structural sections are covered in this publication:
- Universal beams, universal columns, joists, bearing piles, parallel flange channels and structural tees cut from universal beams and universal columns to BS 4-1.
- Universal beams and universal columns produced by Tata Steel but not included in BS 4-1.
- Asymmetric Slimflor® beams (ASB) produced by Tata Steel.
- Equal and unequal angles to BS EN 10056-1.
- Hot-finished structural hollow sections to BS EN 10210-2.
- Cold-formed structural hollow sections to BS EN 10219-2.
- Section ranges listed cover sections that are readily available at the time of printing.
The preparation and editorial work for this Edition was carried out by Miss E Nunez Moreno and Mr E Yandzio, both of the SCI, with technical assistance from Mr A S Malik of the SCI and Mr C M King, formerly of the SCI. The project was coordinated by Mr D G Brown, also of the SCI.
The work leading to this publication has been jointly funded by Tata Steel, SCI and BCSA and their support is gratefully acknowledged.
Reprint – 2015 Effective properties have been given for RHS subject to minor axis bending. For RHS subject to bending, the second moment of area presented is always the gross property. For RHS subject to axial load and bending, the choice of curve for lateral torsional buckling (for lengths greater than the limiting length) reflects the provisions of the UK National Annex. For circular hollow sections subject to axial load and bending, the reduced moment resistance reflects the provisions of the corrigenda to BS EN 1993-1-1.
EXPLANATORY NOTES 1 GENERAL
- 1.1 Material, section dimensions and tolerances
- 1.2 Dimensional units
- 1.3 Property units
- 1.4 Mass and force units
- 1.5 Axis convention
2 DIMENSIONS OF SECTIONS
- 2.1 Masses
- 2.2 Ratios for local buckling
- 2.3 Dimensions for detailing
- 2.3.1 UB sections, UC sections and bearing piles
- 2.3.2 Joists
- 2.3.3 Parallel flange channels
3 SECTION PROPERTIES
- 3.1 General
- 3.2 Sections other than hollow sections
- 3.2.1 Second moment of area (I)
- 3.2.2 Radius of gyration (i)
- 3.2.3 Elastic section modulus (Wel)
- 3.2.4 Plastic section modulus (Wpl)
- 3.2.5 Buckling parameter (U) and torsional index (X)
- 3.2.6 Warping constant (Iw) and torsional constant (IT)
- 3.2.7 Equivalent slenderness coefficient (φ) and monosymmetry index (ψ)
- 3.3 Hollow sections
- 3.3.1 Common properties
- 3.3.2 Plastic section modulus of hollow sections (Wpl)
- 3.3.3 Torsional constant (IT)
- 3.3.4 Torsional section modulus (Wt)
4 EFFECTIVE SECTION PROPERTIES
- 4.1 General
- 4.2 Effective section properties of members subject to compression
- 4.3 Effective section properties of members subject to pure bending
5 INTRODUCTION TO RESISTANCE TABLES
- 5.1 General
- 5.2 Yield strength
6 COMPRESSION TABLES
- 6.1 Compression members: UB and UC sections
- 6.2 Compression members: hollow sections
- 6.3 Compression members: parallel flange channels
- 6.4 Compression members: single angles
7 TENSION TABLES
- 7.1 Tension members: Single angles
8 BENDING TABLES
- 8.1 Bending: UB sections, UC sections, joists and parallel flange channels
- 8.2 Bending: Hollow sections
- 8.2.1 Circular and square hollow sections
- 8.2.2 Rectangular hollow sections
- 8.2.3 Elliptical hollow sections
9 RESISTANCE TO TRANSVERSE FORCES TABLES (WEB BEARING AND BUCKLING)
- 9.1 UB sections, UC sections, joists and parallel flange channels
- 9.2 Square and rectangular hollow sections
10 AXIAL FORCE & BENDING TABLES
- 10.1 Axial force and bending: UB sections, UC sections, joists and parallel flange channels
- 10.1.1 Cross section resistance check
- 10.1.2 Member buckling check
- 10.2 Axial force and bending: hollow sections
- 10.2.1 Cross section resistance check
- 10.2.2 Member buckling check
11 BOLTS AND WELDS
- 11.1 Bolt resistances
- 11.2 Welds
12 SECTION DESIGNATIONS AND STEEL GRADES
- 12.1 Open Sections
- 12.2 Hollow Sections
TABLES OF DIMENSIONS AND GROSS SECTION PROPERTIES
- Universal beams
- Universal columns
- Universal bearing piles
- Hot-finished circular hollow sections
- Hot-finished square hollow sections
- Hot-finished rectangular hollow sections
- Hot-finished elliptical hollow sections
- Cold-formed circular hollow sections
- Cold-formed square hollow sections
- Cold-formed rectangular hollow sections
- ASB (Asymmetric beams)
- Parallel flange channels
- Two parallel flange channels laced
- Two parallel flange channels back to back
- Equal angles
- Unequal angles
- Equal angles back to back
- Unequal angles long leg back to back
- Structural tees cut from universal beams
- Structural tees cut from universal columns
TABLES OF EFFECTIVE SECTION PROPERTIES
- Universal beams subject to compression
- Hot-finished square hollow sections subject to compression
- Cold-formed square hollow sections subject to compression
- Hot-finished rectangular hollow sections subject to compression
- Cold-formed rectangular hollow sections subject to compression
- Equal angles subject to compression
- Unequal angles subject to compression
- Hot-finished square hollow sections subject to bending about y-y axis
- Cold-formed square hollow sections subject to bending about y-y axis
- Hot-finished rectangular hollow sections subject bending about y-y axis
- Cold-formed rectangular hollow sections subject bending about y-y axis