The design of cast-in plates
This page is about the following publication:
- The design of cast-in plates
- J. R. Henderson
- ISBN: 978-1-85942-225-0
- Year: 2017
This resource is available to SCI members only.
Click here for information on becoming a member of SCI.
Alternatively, to purchase the publication please visit the SCI bookshop
This publication provides guidance for the design of cast-in steel plates for connecting structural steel beams to concrete core walls. The guidance can be extended to connections of other elements (e.g. support brackets for services).
The guide provides a model for the design of simple connections that transfer shear force due to permanent and variable loads and a non-coincident axial tie force resulting from an accidental load case. It points out additional issues which must be considered where coincident shear forces and axial forces are to be dealt with. A sample design of a simple connection for a 610 serial size UB is presented. The design of punching shear reinforcement for the wall is included.
The guide discusses the responsibilities of the building structural engineer and the steelwork contractor and suggests where the responsibilities are best divided. It also considers the impact of deviations between the theoretical positions of the parts of the connection and their as-erected positions.
Issues relating to construction are discussed and some recommendations made.
2 FUNCTIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND BEHAVIOUR
- 2.1 Nominally pinned connections in simple construction
- 2.2 Nominally pinned connections with coincident shear and axial forces
- 2.3 Alternative detailing to provide resistance to coincident shear and axial forces
3 PROPOSED DESIGN MODEL
4 CONTRACTUAL ARRANGEMENTS AND DESIGN RESPONSIBILITY
5 CONSTRUCTION TOLERANCES AND THEIR IMPLICATIONS
6 CONSTRUCTION DETAILS AND HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUES
- 6.1 Welding: Studs and Reinforcement
- 6.2 Thermal Expansion of the Cast-in Plate
- 6.3 Cast-in Plate Material Grade
- 6.4 Installation
- 6.5 Painting and Fire Protection
APPENDIX A: DESIGN CALCULATIONS FOR CAST-IN PLATE
- A.1 Resistances of shear studs and reinforcement
- A.2 Calculations