The Blue Book
[top]SCI P363 Steel building design: Design data
|How to use the Blue Book|
The “Blue Book”, SCI P363, is the essential aid for the design of steelwork. Comprehensive section property data is provided as well as tables of member resistances, which are given for grades S275 and S355. This enables rapid selection of steel members in compression, bending and tension. Tables are also provided for combined bending and compression, web resistance and shear resistance. The latest edition provides resistances in accordance with the UK version of Eurocode 3 part 1-1, part 1-5, and part 1-8 together with their relevant UK National Annexes.
It also provides:
- Section property data for: hot rolled open sections such as beams, columns, channels and angles; and hollow sections.
- Resistances for ordinary (non pre-loaded) bolts, pre-loaded bolts and welds.
Click here to download SCI P363
[top]Interactive "Blue Book"
An interactive version of the "Blue Book" is also available that includes design information in accordance with the relevant parts of both the Eurocodes and BS 5950. Produced by the SCI on behalf of Steel for Life, this comprehensive web-hosted eBlue Book covers the full range of both open sections and hollow sections (both hot finished and cold formed), and will not require any software to be installed on the host computer.
Design data is available for:
- Universal beams, universal columns, bearing piles, and parallel flange channels to BS EN 10365
- Structural tees (cut from either universal beams or universal columns) to BS 4-1
- Equal and unequal angles to BS EN 10056
- Hot-finished structural hollow sections to BS EN 10210-2
- Cold-formed structural hollow sections to BS EN 10219-2
Tables are provided for both S275 and S355 grades for open sections, S355 and S420 grades for hot-finished hollow sections, and S355 grade for cold-formed hollow sections. Comprehensive design data is also provided for bolts and welds, rolling tolerances are given, and there are comprehensive sets of explanatory notes for both the Eurocodes and BS 5950 data.
Click here to access the freely available Steel for Life Interactive “Blue Book”.
- Tables of member resistances for S460 and HISTAR® grades are available in ArcelorMittal's Orange Book
- Autocad drawings of sections are available from ArcelorMittal here
- Tables of member resistances for hollow sections are also available in Tata Steel’s (tubes only) Blue Book
- BS EN 1993-1-1:2005+A1:2014, Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. General rules and rules for buildings, BSI
- BS EN 1993-1-5:2006+A1:2017. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures Plated structural elements. BSI
- BS EN 1993-1-8:2005. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Design of joints, BSI
- NA+A1:2014 to BS EN 1993-1-1:2005+A1:2014, UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures General rules and rules for buildings, BSI
- NA+A1:2016 to BS EN 1993-1-5:2006. UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures Plated structural elements. BSI
- NA to BS EN 1993-1-8:2005. UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Design of joints, BSI
- BS EN 10365:2017 Hot rolled steel channels, I and H sections. Dimensions and masses. BSI
- BS 4-1:2005 Structural steel sections. Specification for hot-rolled sections, BSI.
- BS EN 10056-1:2017 Structural steel equal and unequal leg angles. Dimensions, BSI.
- BS EN 10210-2:2019 Hot finished steel structural hollow sections. Tolerances, dimensions and sectional properties, BSI.
- BS EN 10219-2:2019 Cold formed welded steel structural hollow sections. Tolerances, dimensions and sectional properties, BSI.
- Member design tools:
- Compression resistance design tool
- Bending resistance design tool
- Combined axial compression and bending resistance design tool
- Columns in simple construction design tool
- Resistance of beams at elevated temperature
- Resistance of columns at elevated temperature
- Composite beam checking tool
- Elastic critical moment for lateral torsional buckling calculation tool
- Frame stability tool