The Blue Book
SCI P363 Steel building design: Design data
|How to use the Blue Book|
The “Blue Book”, SCI P363, is the essential aid for the design of steelwork. Comprehensive section property data is provided as well as tables of member resistances, which are given for grades S275 and S355. This enables rapid selection of steel members in compression, bending and tension. Tables are also provided for combined bending and compression, web resistance and shear resistance. The latest edition provides resistances in accordance with the UK version of Eurocode 3 part 1-1, part 1-5, and part 1-8 together with their relevant UK National Annexes.
It also provides:
- Section property data for: hot rolled open sections such as beams, columns, channels and angles; and hollow sections.
- Resistances for ordinary (non pre-loaded) bolts, pre-loaded bolts and welds.
Click here to download SCI P363
Interactive "Blue Book"
The interactive version of the "Blue Book" that has served the UK steel construction sector well for many years has unfortunately had to be removed following the sale of Tata Steel’s Long Products business to Greybull Capital and the subsequent creation of British Steel. However, SCI are nearing completion of a comprehensive replacement for Steel for Life that will include design information in accordance with the relevant parts of both the Eurocodes and BS 5950. This new web-hosted eBlue Book will cover the full range of both open sections (UB, UC, PFC etc.) and hollow sections (both hot finished and cold formed) and will not require any software to be installed on the host computer. This will be available from a link on this page in April.
In the interim to assist UK designers, BCSA and SCI have agreed to make a PDF of SCI-P363 available to non-members. This may be downloaded here.
- Tables of member resistances for S460 grade are available in ArcelorMittal's Orange Book.
- Tables of member resistances for hollow sections are also available in Tata Steel’s new (tubes only) Blue Book
- ^ BS EN 1993-1-1:2005+A1:2014, Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. General rules and rules for buildings, BSI
- ^ BS EN 1993-1-5:2006. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures Plated structural elements. BSI
- ^ BS EN 1993-1-8:2005. Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Design of joints, BSI
- ^ NA to BS EN 1993-1-1:2005+A1:2014, UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures General rules and rules for buildings, BSI
- ^ NA to BS EN 1993-1-5:2006. UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures Plated structural elements. BSI
- ^ NA to BS EN 1993-1-8:2005. UK National Annex to Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures. Design of joints, BSI
- Steel section sizes
- Design codes and standards
- Eurocode Design Guides
- Member design
- Member design tools:
- Compression resistance design tool
- Bending resistance design tool
- Combined axial compression and bending resistance design tool
- Columns in simple construction design tool
- Resistance of beams at elevated temperature
- Resistance of columns at elevated temperature
- Composite beam checking tool
- Elastic critical moment for lateral torsional buckling calculation tool
- Frame stability tool